Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sweet and Sour Chicken - Julie Pinkham

I sit here at the computer, supposedly working on my Physical Science test that is due on Friday - and to create a way to stall, I've decided to post the inaugural recipe on my recipe blog. It is what we are having for dinner tonight. I got this recipe from my dear friend Julie (who practically melted this summer in Arizona). She served it at one of our monthly lunch get-to-gethers, back in the day when all of a 4-some of friends lived in Orem, Utah. It's really yummy and a favorite in our house. Even the kids will eat it.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

1 lb. Chicken – cut into bite size pieces
½ tsp. coarsely chopped or ground Ginger
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Onion powder or salt
½ tsp. Garlic powder or salt
1 Egg
¼ cup Flour
3 Tbs. Butter/margarine
1 can Pineapple chunks
½ cup Brown sugar
¼ cup vinegar (preferably apple cider)
1 Tbs. Soy sauce
2 Tbs. Cornstarch
1 Green pepper - chopped
6 med. Carrots - chopped

Mix together ginger, salt, onion and garlic powders, and flour. In a separate bowl whisk the egg. Coat chicken pieces with egg and then flour mixture. Melt butter over med-high heat, add chicken to brown.*
Boil vegetables until tender crisp (this doesn’t take as long as you think) – keep them warm until added. When chicken is browned add can of pineapple (with juice) to meat. Add vinegar, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Heat thoroughly. Take a couple of Tbs. of juice out to mix with cornstarch – whisk with fork until a smooth paste. Add back to meat and let juices thicken. Add veggies right before serving. Serve over rice or noodles.

*When I'm in a time crunch, or really just being lazy, I forgo the egg and flour and just dump the chicken into the pan and sprinkle with the ginger, onion, and garlic powders. It's not as good, but it still works. And if you want the traditional Chinese Restaurant version, you can add a little red food coloring to the sauce.

Enjoy the recipe. I hope to post at least one recipe a month - I'm going to aim for two. We'll see how it goes.
In the meantime - if you try this recipe and want to share your reviews, please feel free to post it as a comment or email me and I'll add it to the post.

1 comment:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I tried this recipe tonight and added it to my recipe blog. I hope that's okay. It was good. Thanks for having a recipe blog besides the other one with cute little baby piggies sticking out from under the diaper. How cute is that shot? Love you. Keep blogging!