Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Whole Enchilada Pie

This recipe actually comes from a Diane Mott Davidson novel. I don't remember which one, but her novels are about a caterer and she always includes the recipes that are used for different events throughout the book. I haven't read one of her books that I don't like - they are an easy, yet intriguing read - all murder mysteries.

Anyway - this is the only one of her recipes I've tried, but I have a few other's copied down to try some day.

The Whole Enchilada Pie

1 lb. Ground Beef
Medium Onion, chopped
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/3 cup Picante Sauce
1 (16 oz) can Refried Beans (I use 2 cans - we like beans)
1 (10 oz) can Enchilada Sauce
1 tsp. Salt
2 cups crushed Corn Chips
3 cups grated Cheese

Preheat oven to 375°. In frying pan, brown beef, onion and garlic. Add picante sauce, beans, enchilada sauce and salt. Stir and cook until well combined and bubbly.

Layer in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish:
1 cup crushed chips
½ meat mixture
1 ½ cups cheese
1 cup crushed chips
½ meat mixture
1 ½ cup cheese

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until heated through.
Serve with build-your-own taco toppings: tomatoes, olives, sour cream, guacamole, etc...

**This recipe also works really well using a layer of Flour or Corn Tortillas instead of crushed chips – in fact we like it better that way! And the last time I made this I actually made it into enchiladas and it was still super easy.

1 comment:

Teri said...

Lisa,
This sounds so yummy! I think my kids would love it. I'm adding it to my "I have to try this recipe" list!!

Teri