Sunday, June 15, 2008

Kerry's Request

My sister, Kerry, kindly requested some recipes with rice, as her dear hubby is finally starting to eat it again (a mission to Venezuela kind of put him off rice for just a few years). Before offering a recipe I found and tried this week, I will kindly remind her of the recipes in her cookbook (the one I made for her a few Christmases ago) that are served with or over rice:

*Chicken Divan
*Sweet and Sour Chicken
*Apple Chicken
*Brazilian Chicken
*SantaFe Chicken (my personal favorite)
*Hawaiian Haystacks (I know you already mentioned this one, Kerry, but I added it for anyone else interested, too)
*Chili (I know it's a Hawaii thing, but chili on rice is really yummy)
*Bar-B-Q Meatballs

OK that all being said, I tried a Sweet and Sour Meatball recipe that I found online at allrecipes.com, however, I of course changed it (click the link to see the original). Mostly I just cut the meatball amounts in 1/2 but made all the sauce - we're saucy sort of people. And I left out the nutmeg - I'm so not a nutmeg person, in anything, I just don't care for the flavor.

Anyhoo - Cam and I LOVED it; the kids not so much. But I think that was more of a mental thing - they decided before they even tried it that they wouldn't like it. I would think kids would love this, too. I will definitely be making it again, the kids will just have to learn to love it or learn to go to bed hungry!

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup dried onion flakes
3/4 cups dry bread crumbs (I actually crushed up some stale saltines)
1 tablespoon salt
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup cider vinegar
2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1 cup water, divided
2 tablespoons cornstarch


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine beef, onion flakes, bread crumbs, salt, egg and milk. Shape mixture into 1 inch balls, and place onto a cookie sheet lined with foil (one with edges recommended since the fat will cook out of the beef). Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Lower heat in oven to 350 degrees.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, mix vinegar, sugar, mustard and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil, and boil for 1 minute. Mix cornstarch and 1/2 cup water; add to saucepan, and boil for 1 minute more.
Add cooked meatballs to the sauce, and simmer on the stove for about 20 minutes, or until sauce is thick and meatballs are flavored.

Serve over rice. Makes about 40 meatballs.

No comments: