Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Kalua Pig - So Yummy!



So I've been trying to find I way to make this excellent dish without having to heat up the whole house for an entire day with the oven on. So I just decided to give the crock pot a chance. All I would be out was the price of the roast, which was less than $10, so I figured, why not. And it turned out FABULOUS! I will definitely be making this again soon as it is a family favorite and is SO, SO, SO easy - since my crock pot and my rice cooker did all the real work.

Kalua Pig

1 pork shoulder roast - sometimes called a picnic roast - whatever size you will need/will fit in your crock pot - mine was a little over 3 lbs and fed us perfectly with just a little left over for a sandwich
1 tbs liquid smoke
1 tbs Hawaiian sea salt - any course sea salt with do, but Hawaiian is the best and does have a subtley unique flavor (or so I've heard)
1/2 cup water

Pout the water into the bottom of your crock pot. Rub the liquid smoke and salt all over the roast. The measurements above are approximate - I just rubbed it all over. Place the roast in the crock pot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours - mine cooked for about 10.
Serve with rice.

A side note: I wrapped my roast in Ti leaves as this is how the pig is traditionally cooked when placed in an imu (undergound oven). However, I don't think this really effected the flavor at all - maybe next time I'll try it without to see if there is any difference.

*If you want to see a pic of a Ti plant, check out my regular blog, MusingsFromParadise.

3 comments:

Liz said...

lisa,
love the recipe. i barely learned to make this myself!! i especially love the photo with the recipe. seriously, i vote (since it is voting season) that as many recipes as possible come with photos!!! mostly so i can try the recipe and then site you in my blog! hahaha!! i love these recipes!

Liz said...

time for a new recipe, girlfriend. i'm dyin' here!!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

And you could put some of the barbecue sauce on my cookbook site over it. Yum.

Ha ha, the word verification word is Courgar. A new way to spell BYU's mascot. Does BYU Hawaii have a mascot?

I agree with Liz. Love the photos.

Love you, too.