Friday, February 20, 2009

Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pie!



This recipe is actually the combination of 3 different recipes. They all come from The Joy of Cooking. I got this super handy, dandy cookbook from my best college friend (who was my freshman and sophomore roommate)'s parents for a wedding gift. I thought it was terribly nice of them to send anything at all, since they hardly knew me. And never did I realize just how helpful it would be over the years. Seriously - if I have a cooking questions, I can usually find the answer in this book. And every recipe I've ever tried is fabulous. And yes, this is the source of my super yummy apple pie (using the pie crust below) that I always get complements on.

OK, onward toward the recipes. Like I said, it is 3 different recipes combined. First for the crust, then the creamed chicken, then the pot pie itself. I will type the recipes out as they are written and make any personal notes in red.

Deluxe Butter Flaky Pastry Dough
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter
1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs ice water (plus more if need)

Using a rubber spatula thoroughly mix in large bowl flour, sugar and salt. Working quickly to prevent softening, cut butter into 1/4 inch pieces and add to dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives (old school way) chop the butter into pea-size pieces. Add shortening and chop using pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some pea-size pieces. It should be dry and powdery. Drizzle with ice water and cut with the blade side of the rubber spatula until mixture looks evenly moistened and begins to form small balls. Press down on the dough with the flat side of the spatula. If the balls stick together you have added enough water. If they do not, drizzle with 1-2 Tbs ice water and mix until dough sticks as indicated. Dough should look rough, not smooth. Divide the dough in half, press each half into a round flat disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 min, preferably for several hours or for up to 2 days before rolling. Can also be wrapped airtight and frozen for up to 6 months, thaw completely before rolling.




Creamed Chicken (or Turkey)
3 1/2 lbs chicken parts or 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or if you'd rather use shredded meat you already have cooked you'll need about 4 cups and you can skip ahead to the appropriate spot in the recipe, of course)
water to cover chicken pieces
4 Tbs (1/2 stick) butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups chicken stock (you can use the water you used to boil the chicken pieces, or from the can, etc.)
1 1/2 cups milk, half-n-half, etc.
lemon juice (to taste)
salt and pepper (to taste)
nutmeg (if desired - you all know my opinions on nutmeg....)



Place chicken in a large pan or dutch oven, pour in just enough water to cover the pieces. Bring to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until meat is done through about 8-12 minutes. (Now my chicken NEVER cooks this fast. Am I retarded about this? I boil - not simmer - my breasts for at least 30 minutes.) Remove the meat from the water and shred or chop as desired when cool enough to touch. Reserve (clean) stock if you want to use that in the next steps.


Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and add chicken stock and whisk until smooth. (I use canned here, because I cook breasts, so the water doesn't really gain any flavor during the cooking.) Return to medium heat and whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Simmer for 1 minute, then add back the shredded meat. Cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and add lemon juice (which I don't), salt and pepper (I definitely do), or nutmeg (Yuck!).





Chicken Pot Pie
So, this really is not so much of a recipe. The one in the book if fancy-schmancy and calls for sauteing onions, peas, carrots, celery, etc. I just mix half a bag of frozen mixed veggies in the creamed chicken and call it good. The recipe also says to cook this "pie" in a 9x13 pan, I use a 9x9 glass pan. It also calls for a whole pie dough recipe, I only use a half because I use a smaller pan. But it all fits in that pan, so it works for me. You can do what you want. I like using the small pan, because then I can freeze half of my dough for next time.



So, while you're making your creamed chicken, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease your baking dish (whatever shape or size you choose). When the creamed chicken is ready, throw in half a bag of frozen veggies. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Roll out one half of the dough and lay on top of the mixture. Cut fancy vent holes if you so desire and cook for 25-35 min, or until the crust is golden and the insides are all bubbly (that's a technical term).



Everyone in our house seems to really like it - even Juliana. Abby says she only likes the crust, but she did eat all of it the other night when brownies were being offered as dessert for those who cleaned their plates.

Now after typing all this is doesn't seem so easy, so I'm sure reading it all you may be thinking the same thing, but it really is. Make the crust first, or even a day or 2 ahead if you want. the creamed chicken is fast once the chicken is cooked. It just seems hard because you're being all fancy and making it from scratch. If I were making all of it in one day I would make the dough whenever I had a free 10 minutes during the day, and the chicken can really be cooked whenever you have a free few minutes, too. Then creaming it and assembly probably take a 1/2 hour from start to in the oven. Not bad for a homemade meal. You could easily cook double chicken and freeze the filling and the extra dough for next time - I just haven't done that yet.





Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!


Enjoy.

4 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

This truly sounds wonderful! Mmm. Now I'm hungry.

Liz said...

girlfriend,
can i throw the crust ingredients in the food processor or is it better to mix by (heinous) hand?

also, i don't know your opinion about nutmeg. yes or no?

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

She thinks nutmeg is the devil's pepper.

Kerry said...

Sounds good-I'll have to try it sometime-

I boil my chicken for at least 30 minutes too--it's probably done sooner, but I don't want to check it-I just want to KNOW it's done.